With 1,002 tests for Sunday morning’s report, the South Dakota Department of Health reported 45 new cases of coronavirus. The number of active cases in the state decreased by seven to 868.
Two statistics were promising. No new deaths were reported, and the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 illness dropped by 12 to 53. Twenty of those patients are in the Monument Health system.
The total number of positive tests in South Dakota now stands at 7,499.
Pennington County received 75 tests back Saturday for Sunday’s report. The county reported five new cases for a total of 635 with 140 active cases – down six from Saturday.
Oglala-Lakota County reported three new cases on 10 tests Sunday. There are 31 active cases there. Meade, Lawrence, Custer, Fall River and Butte counties all reported no new cases. There was a total of 58 tests for those counties. Custer and Lawrence counties have one active case, Fall River and Butte counties have three active cases and Meade County has eight cases that are still considered active infections.
Lincoln County reported the highest number of new cases Sunday with six, followed by Minnehaha County with five. Beadle, Brown, Dewey, Hutchinson, Kingsbury, and Spink counties all reported two new cases. Bon Homme, Brookings, Brule, Buffalo, Davison, Grant, Hughes, Jackson, McCook, McPherson, Roberts, Todd, Union, and Yankton counties all added one new case Sunday.
The Australian white supremacist who admitting killing 51 worshippers in a mass shooting at two New Zealand mosques has dismissed his lawyers and will represent himself when he is sentenced next month.
Brenton Harrison Tarrant had pleaded guilty in March to 51 charges of murder, 40 of attempted murder and one charge of engaging in a terrorist act for the shootings targeting people praying at the two mosques in the city of Christchurch in 2019.
His sentencing hearing, delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, is scheduled to begin in Christchurch on Aug. 24 and could last more than three days. The date was confirmed at a High Court session in Christchurch on Monday that was attended by some shooting survivors.
Tarrant’s defense team, lawyers Shane Tait and Jonathan Hudson, applied during Monday’s hearing for permission to withdraw as his counsel, a role they have filled since April 2019. They told the court they had been instructed by Tarrant to withdraw as he wishes to exercise his right to represent himself.
Tarrant participated in Monday’s proceedings by video link from his Auckland jail. Justice Cameron Mander approved Tarrant’s request to dismiss his lawyers, saying he was satisfied he understood his right to legal representation and wished to waive that right.
A lawyer will still be appointed by the court to provide advice if Tarrant requests it. Mander called for a pre-sentence report and statements from victims for the hearing.
Tarrant faces life imprisonment, with the judge having some discretion in deciding how many years Tarrant must serve before becoming eligible for parole.
The attacks targeting people praying at the mosques shocked New Zealand, where new laws were quickly approved banning the deadliest types of semi-automatic weapons. It also prompted global changes to social media protocols after the gunman livestreamed his attack on Facebook, where it was viewed by hundreds of thousands of people.
The sudden guilty plea in March surprised survivors and relatives and relieved many people who had feared Tarrant would try to use his trial as a platform to promote his views.
A French national detained in Indonesia on suspicion of molesting over hundreds of children has died by apparent suicide, police said Monday.
Francois Camille Abello, 65, was found last Thursday unresponsive inside his cell at a detention center in Jakarta, said police spokesman Yusri Yunus.
“After three days of treatment, he was pronounced dead,” Yunus told reporters on Monday.
Umar Shahab, an official at National Police Hospital in Jakarta, said doctors reported the French retiree had a neck fracture, and the injury blocked the supply of oxygen.
The pensioner was arrested last month in a hotel in Jakarta with two underage girls in his room.
He was paraded Thursday in handcuffs wearing an orange prison shirt and black facemask at a police press conference.
Police said they found videos on Abello’s computer that showed him engaging in illegal sex acts with over 300 children aged between 10 and 17.
They said he would approach children and lure them with offers of work as models. Those who refused to have sex were beaten.
Abello faced life in prison, chemical castration, or even execution by firing squad if convicted on a raft of charges under Indonesia’s child protection laws.
The French embassy in Jakarta, contacted by AFP, declined to comment on the case.
Mourners wept and deeply bowed before the coffin of Seoul’s mayor during his funeral Monday, while a lawyer came forward with details about sexual harassment allegations against the late politician.
The allegations have split many in South Korea over how to remember Park Won-soon, who was found dead Friday in a wooded area in northern Seoul. Park, a liberal who built his career as a reform-minded politician and champion of women’s rights, had been considered a potential candidate for president in 2022.
Police said there was no sign of foul play but refused to disclose the exact cause of his death. Seoul officials have said Park left a note saying, “I feel sorry to everyone” and asking that his body be cremated.
On Monday, lawyer Kim Jae-ryon told reporters that she gave legal counsel to one of Park’s former secretaries before a complaint was lodged with police over alleged sexual harassment. Kim, who represents the ex-secretary, said the complaint was filed on July 8, the day before Park’s daughter called police to report her father missing, prompting a massive police search for him.
Kim said the ex-secretary said that Park sent her messages and photos that involved “sexual harassment” and that she showed those to some of her friends, colleagues, and a local journalist. The woman said Park subjected her to unwanted “physical contact,” the lawyer said.
Kim’s news conference was the first of its kind since the allegations against Park were reported by local media when the police began their search for the mayor.
Police and Seoul’s city government didn’t immediately have official responses to the lawyer’s claims and refused multiple attempts to confirm details in the complaint. Police have previously confirmed that a complaint against Park was filed but have not given any details.
Kim’s office also refused The Associated Press’ request to contact Kim.
During the news conference, an activist read what she called a message by the former secretary.
“I was foolish. I have deep regrets. Yes, I should have screamed when it first happened, cried out and reported it,” the message said.
She was quoted as saying in the message that she found Park’s death “deeply disappointing” and hard to believe.
Earlier Monday, the Seoul city government held a funeral for Park with about 100 participants, a relatively small size given his prominence. Authorities cited coronavirus concerns for limiting participants, but some observers say opposition to a big, outdoor funeral was likely the reason.
The mayor’s daughter, Park Da-in, wept at the funeral and said she felt both sorry and grateful to city officials who she said must have been more shocked than anyone by her father’s death. “Thanks to them, our family is overcoming the difficult times little by little,” she said.
A live broadcast online drew a mixture of condolence messages and insults.
Sympathy messages included ones that read “Please, rest in peace,” “I’m heartbroken” and “You’re the best mayor.” But there were also anti-Park messages such as “Shame on you,” “Hypocrite” and “What are you doing with taxpayers’ money?”
The funeral ended after Park’s family and others deeply bowed and laid white flowers before a floral coffin topped with his framed funeral photo. When the coffin was moved out of the building for a cremation and burial later Monday, some of his supporters cried and shouted “Mr. Mayor! Mr. Mayor” and “We love you.”
Chief Minister Punjab, Mr. Usman Buzdar being the host of the session is attending the special meeting of the NCOC.
DR Yasmin Rashid Minister Health, Mr. M Basharat Raja Minister Law also attending the session with other provincial representatives.
Provincial chief Secretaries are participating through video link.
Forum deliberating on Management of cattle Mandis on Eid Ul Azha and Eid Prayers. Forum was apprised that nearly 700 cattle mandis are established across Pakistan on the eve of Eid Ul Azha. Necessary health guidelines have been issued to all concerned. Asad Umer said that management of cattle mandis is very important to contain disease spread particularly move of people from rural areas to cities and going back after sale of animals. Cattle mandis will be established outside cities and no cattle mandi allowed inside cities. A layout of mandis should be shared with all to follow the heath protocols and guidelines. Local administrations to ensure: The timings of mandis will be from 6 Am to 1900; Screening of people entering the mandis; Use of face masks and social distancing and allowing designated no of people inside at one point of time to avoid overcrowding; Number of cattle markets be increased, while size be kept small; Eid prayers as per EId ul Fitr plan.
Forum was briefed that Under TTQ strategy Over 750,000 contacts traced who came in contact with Covid Infected People. Out of those contacts those tested positive were put in Quarantine / home isolation across country potentially saving about 300,000 individuals from getting infected.
Contact tracing is being accelerated through combination of RRTs (Rapid Response Teams) and call centers. Local communities are key part in fight against COVID-19 wherein Rural Support Network organizations, local organizations, notables participating in different fields to assist local administration.
NCOC identified top 30 cities as Covid hotspots with max Infected using auto trace and NITB maps. At an average 3-8 Million population with 10-30 % of infected People remained under 300-500 smart lockdowns (SLDs) on rolling basis since adoption of this policy in entire country. Currently 321 smart lockdowns are enforced across Pakistan at the moment.
The Philippines’ health ministry on Monday (July 13) confirmed 162 new coronavirus deaths, the country’s biggest single-day increase in casualties, as a health ministry official said authorities validated some earlier cases included in the tally.
The ministry said total deaths had reached 1,534, while confirmed infections rose 2,124 to 56,259.
“As part of ongoing data harmonization, we cannot avoid seeing cases not yet included in our official death count,” Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire told a news conference.
Of the 162 casualties, more than half died in June and a third in July, she said, adding that the ministry expects more to be reported because of our data reconciliation efforts.